Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Book Review - "The Siren" by Kiera Cass


I'm not really sure where to start with this book. The premise is very interesting and unusual. It took me a little while to adjust to it, but once I did I liked it. I liked the bond between the Sirens, I thought it was realistic and yet something that everyone wants. I guess I liked everything but the end. I like HOW it ended (for the most part), but I don't like the WAY it ended. That still makes no sense, but I can't explain without spoilers.

This book is about a Siren named Kahlen. She was saved by the Ocean (who is basically a spirit) when she was drowning after hearing the Siren song. She agreed to spend the next century as a Siren and lure humans to the depths of the Ocean with their song. The Ocean became like a mother figure for her since she lost hers. The girls live on land in together in cities but are forbidden to speak. If they do, whatever human hears their voice will go straight to the Ocean and kill themselves. Kahlen has always been very careful not to speak or bond with anyone that isn't her Siren sisters. She's the oldest one living in the house with the others in Florida. She's unlike her sisters in the fact that she feels immense guilt after each Song and she actually keeps scrapbooks of each shipwreck because of her guilt.

Kahlen meets a boy named Akinli at the library and he is unlike anyone she has ever met. He realizes she can't speak, and he's ok with that. He still talks to her and even gets her a pen/notepad to write with. Kahlen is taken aback by his kindness and she starts to fall for him. They have a date and afterwards, Kahlen freaks out and is afraid of falling in love with him so she forces the girls to move to another state. This basically begins a long journey of Kahlen being depressed and the others being annoyed/worried with her. Once the Ocean realizes what is happening, it/she becomes furious with Kahlen. Kahlen runs away and runs into Akinli who offers her a place to stay with him and his cousins.

Things look great for a little while, until Kahlen makes a major mistake and bargains with the Ocean who adds even more time to her "sentence." Kahlen is devastated about it and her sisters try to help her. Then Kahlen begins to get sick and no one can explain why. She is a Siren and supposed to be inhuman so she should never get sick or need sleep. The girls work over time to find out how they can save Kahlen and what Akinli has to do with it.


***SPOILERS*** IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK THEN SCROLL PAST THIS PART!!!

So basically the fact that Akinli heard her voice and without hearing his voice anymore they're both dying. Like seriously?! He's dying without her voice and she's dying without his. The only solution was to turn her back into a human which was really sad because the girls lost their sister. Akinli's family finds her and once he sees her he starts feeling better which is all fine and dandy, except she doesn't remember him. It's sweet that she feels like she loves him without remembering, but the fact that she doesn't remember anything of what they went through makes me feel cheated. Honestly, this whole ending makes me feel cheated and like I wasted my time. I wanted Akinli and Kahlen together, but I also wanted her to be able to remember her Siren life. I realize that was probably too much to ask of Kiera Cass, but still...I feel like the ending was lame and uncreative. I was expecting more.

***NO MORE SPOILERS***








Overall, I like the idea but I am disappointed with the ending...I was expecting more and wanted a little more razzle dazzle.

I give this book 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment