Saturday, September 10, 2016

Pretty Little Liars is Coming to an End



Well is everyone else just as depressed as I am?! Pretty Little Liars has been a Tuesday night staple for me since it premiered June 8, 2010. I had just finished my freshman year of college and had gone from having close friends to no one I could trust. My boyfriend, whom I was convinced I was going to marry, wasn't doing great health wise, and he lived in Nevada, so I was kind of lonely. I remember seeing previews for this show, and thought I would give it a chance. After spending my first hour in Rosewood something changed- I had friends. Obviously I'm not talking about real live breathing friends as this show is fake and so are the characters in it (no matter how great they are). However, I felt like I belonged. I felt a connection to these characters and I desperately needed that.

You see ,my 2 best friends both lived in Iowa by this point (don't ask why, I don't get it either). My friend from high school that went to college with me had completely betrayed my trust and our friendship ended. My 1st college roommate ended up moving home to California after not doing so well mentally during the first semester. My 2nd college roommate basically went MIA after our last day of school (only to randomly show up on Facebook 3 years later). So between this and the fact that my only real friend lived in Canada, I was desperate to find some sort of connection- even if it was fake or pretend. I mean in reality, isn't that why we get so attached to shows? The show itself and the plot is great, but we connect with the characters and we care. I care about these girls and I care what happens to them- that is why I have continued watching and I will continue watching until it ends next year. I have always loved shows where they have strong female friendships. I mean at any point these girls could have gone their separate ways or fought or ratted each other out, but they haven't. They have been to hell and back together and they stand by one another without question. I think part of the reason I love them so much is because I want friends like that and I want to be that kind of friend.

I will miss Aria, Hanna, Spencer, Emily, and Ali when they finally leave my life. I hope these girls actually get happy endings- they really deserve it after everything they have been through. I love them and I love their screwed up crazy lives. I am so sad that there won't be a Halloween episode though, I mean those were tradition! I am glad that they have gone as long as they did and after all, all great things must come to an end.

Thanks to Marlene King and her team for this incredible show with these incredible characters.

RIP (almost) Pretty Little Liars, you will be missed Bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment